Monday, April 4, 2011

Make It Yourself: Wrapping up...


March is over and so it Make It Yourself.  I had a lot of fun coming up with things that I use a lot or needed that instead of buying I could make myself.  I believe it's so important to invest your time in things like this to save money, the planet and better your health.  Thanks to my guest bloggers:

Susy from Chiot's Run

Here are some more homemade and handmade guides if you are interested in more things to make:

I own the book Homemade by the Editors of the Reader's Digest.  It does have some strange things in it (like beer shampoo) but it also as a few things that work and a lot of diy food recipes.

Homemade: How-to Make Hundreds of Everyday Products Fast, Fresh, and More Naturally

This is one of my favorite books:  County Wisdom & Know-How by the Editors of Storey Publishing's Country Wisdom Boards.  It's a huge book, could be a coffee table add, but it has tons of useful information in it and a lot of diy tips and recipes from everything to soap to birdhouses. 

Country Wisdom & Know-How

Of course, every diy home needs a copy of this book:  Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.  Want to make your own ketchup?  Mustard?  Relish?  This book has everything.  The recipes are for canning but you can also make small batches with it.  It is really like a bible in our house.  Every page is marked or written on.  A must. 

Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving

Martha books are always close by to inspire me to create homemade presents.  That's something we really try to do in our house. A homemade gift really means something special.  There are some great ideas in her Encyclopedia of Crafts book as well as her newest one, Encyclopedia of Fabric Crafts.  

Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts: An A-to-Z Guide with Detailed Instructions and Endless Inspiration
 
Those are just a few of the books that I turn to when I need to buy something and see if I can make it instead.  Do you have any that I should add to the collection? 

Now it's April and I'm looking forward to getting back into the blog swing of things.  I have several exciting announcements to share this month, garden updates, bees updates, and new products to share from Ash Tree Organics.  Stay tuned! 

No comments: