Thursday, May 6, 2010

Lofty's on 60


Lewie and I went to visit my friend Janet's shop today:  Lofty's on 60.  She has ten angora goats, three of which are this years offspring.  They are darling!  She spins beautiful mohair from her goats and brought some in to show me today that she dyed with peach leaves.  She lets her goats roam the backyard freely and as she puts it, nobody seems to mind because they mow all the neighbors yards for free.  When we went over to visit them the three young ones were in her backyard but her other seven goats were wondering down the road.  After cooing over the babies - they were so shy but so cute! - we decided to walk down a ways to see the other adults.

When we finally found them in the back of our town's video and laundry store we apparently scared them and they went running to the front and starting trotting down US Hwy 60!  It was a funny site to see them all walking down the hwy together with cars passing by.  After a few houses they went back down a side road on their way back to Janet's for dinner. 


Silly goats!  It was quite an adventure.  After my spinning classes are over I plan on having Janet teach me to dye wool and mohair using natural dyes.  She's really good at it and always has such beautiful colors of mohair.  I'm really looking forward to that.  A whole new world to discover.  Maybe if I'm lucky, and she has enough, I'll get to purchase some kid mohair from her to spin too!

2 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

you sure are making me miss new mexico

Danielle said...

It's a whole other world out here in NM. :)