Friday, July 16, 2010

Cast Iron Week #4: Pop-overs!


I'm not sure how it started but my family has a tradition of making pop-overs on Christmas morning.  I have carried this tradition on with my husband with my mom's pop-over recipe and a jumbo pan purchased for us.  However, when we were recently in Ohio we saw a Griswold cast iron mini pop-over pan that was too cute to pass up.  A different pan we got actually had a cast iron pop-over recipe on it too.  It might not have been Christmas but last Sunday I had to try out both the recipe and the mini cast iron pan.  Turned out great!  I always have problems with my pop-overs rising so they look somewhat flat in my picture but I believe that's mainly due to our elevation (+6,500 ft).  Still taste good!  I love popovers with just plain butter, but they are also great opened up and covered with jam.



Old Cast Iron Pop-over Recipe:

1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 425*.  Grease pop-over pan with butter and set aside.  Combine all ingredients in a bowl and beat until smooth.  Heat pan in oven and remove.  Fill warm pans slightly less than half-full.  Bake about 35 minutes.

No comments: