Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Cast Iron Week #2: Tamale Pie


I made good investment recently when I purchased the book: Cast Iron Cookbook: Delicious and Simple Comfort Foodby Joanna Pruess.  What a great book!  Not only does it cover cast iron history but it is filled with recipes that require cast iron cookware.  It seems like many of them are tried and true recipes and I want to try each one of them.  So far I've only had time to try a few and one of those was the Tamale Pie recipe.  I won't be publishing this recipe in respect to the author, but I can tell you that it was awesome.  It requires a dutch oven and one ingredient most people probably don't have in their pantry: masa harina.  I was able to find this in our local supermarkets Mexican section.  It is corn flour and I highly suggest using that instead of cornmeal.

I can't wait to start making more things from her cookbook including Chocolate Chunk-Pecan Cookie Sundaes with Salted Caramel Sauce - and yes, it's cooked in cast iron!

Note:  I am not affiliated with Joanna Pruess, I just really like her cookbook! 

No comments: