Tuesday, November 9, 2010

How to: Make Thanksgiving patch napkins



I was inspired by The Purl Bee to make these quilted patch Thanksgiving napkins.  They will be a nice touch to our organic and farm fresh feast.  I used my Ash Tree Organics napkins and some leftover scraps from a quilt that I made a few years ago. They aren't perfect, but sort of folksy and I'm glad we won't be using paper napkins that we'll just throw away this Thanksgiving.  I'd love to make the table runner that matches it, but I don't know if I'll have time. Maybe the table runner will be next years project!

Supplies:

Napkins (either bought or make your own)
Sissors
Sewing machine (or by hand)
Scrap fabric
Thread
Fusible interfacing


Instructions:

First, I cut the patch pieces out of scrap fabric.  For mine, I made 2 1/2" triangles.  Then I sewed two triangles together to make a square.  Press the seem open on the back like this:



After you have pressed all your seems on your patches, trim off the overhang.  Next, cut squares the same size as your patches out of fusible interfacing.



Aline your patch and interfacing so that the front of the patch and the fusible side of your interfacing face toward each other (see photo above on right).  Sew around your patch now, leaving a small gap on one side.  Turn your patch inside out, making sure to push out the corners.  Your patch should now look like this:



Next, iron your patch onto your napkins as directed on the interfacing packaging.  Let cool.  Then, sew your patch on in whatever quilt pattern you desire.  I just sewed around the patch and then down the center, 'in the ditch'.



Tis' the season for holiday crafts!

No comments: