Tuesday, October 26, 2010

How to: Make a magnetic spice rack

Spices are pretty neat.  They make boring bland dishes, great yummy ones.  Egyptians used to bury their dead with precious spices and cinnamon was once considered as valuable as gold in Rome.  With this is mind, spices don't belong behind a closed pantry door, they belong in the kitchen in plain site ready to use!  At least, this was my excuse for creating my magnetic spice rack.  It's been a few years in the making, slowly collecting the magnetic containers and finding the perfect magnetic board to hold them on, but now it has a permanent place in our new house so I thought I'd share how I did it.  

First, I got the magnetic board at Ikea.  Second, I've been getting the spice containers that are also magnetic at World Market.  They are different from the office ones because they have twist holes on the sides so you don't have to open it to get spices out, you can just shake it, or pour if you use the larger opening.  


Thirdly, I made labels for them using Avery Print Or Write Permanent Filing Labels in size 5202.  The font I used was Claritty which I just think is so pretty.  I have attached a template here.


After printing on the labels, I had to cut them down on the side to fit in the clear top.  I peeled them off and stuck them on after they were the right size.  It is easier to apply them if you pop the clear top out of the lid.   


When the label was on, I popped the clear top back in the lid and filled up my containers.  


And there you go, a nice convenient spice rack in arms reach to the stove. 

No comments: