Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Make It Yourself: Vanilla Meyer Lemon Tooth Powder


For the last 6 months or so we have been testing out natural and or organic toothpastes from the supermarket.  Some of them have been great but all of them have been expensive.  Super expensive.  And I swear they are less oz then regular toothpaste because they only seem to last about three weeks.  I've thought about making our own but was weary of using glycerin which most toothpaste recipes call for.  Then I came across this post from Chiot's Run by Susy.  Oh how badly I want to try this!  It sounds so easy and yummy and cost affective!  We plan on making some next go around and I can't wait.  I asked Susy if she would be willing to share the recipe as a guest blogger on Make It Yourself Month and she said yes.  Be sure to visit Chiot's Run where she blogs about all kinds of things including more make-it-yourself items like homemade crackers and hard cider!


Here's Susy from Chiot's Run:

Vanilla Meyer Lemon Tooth Powder

I blogged about making homemade toothpaste last October. That recipe used vegetable glycerin, which Mr Chiots and I weren't really fond of. After we used up that batch we've been using tooth powder instead, which we like much better. I've been trying different recipes, cinnamon tooth powder being our favorite so far. Since it was time to make another batch, I decided lemon would be a wonderful flavor for the coming spring months. I made up a batch of Vanilla Meyer Lemon Toothpaste. It smells heavenly, like a delicious lemon cookie. The recipe for toothpowder is basically the same, you can add various essential oils and spices to customize it to suite your tastes.

Homemade Vanilla Meyer Lemon Tooth Powder

LEMON VANILLA TOOTH POWDER
4 Tablespoons baking soda (I use aluminum free)
2 teaspoons fine sea salt
1 Tablespoon of grated lemon peel (from one lemon)
10 drops of vanilla

Stir together ingredients and whir in a food processor to pulverize the lemon peel. Store in a small jar. Put small amount on toothbrush and enjoy and non-toxic delicious tooth brushing experience! As with all tooth brushing make sure to rinse well after brushing, especially with the citrus as it's slightly acidic. Rinsing well gets rid of the acid.

For my cinnamon recipe I simply omit lemon peel and vanilla and add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Sometimes I also add a few drops of peppermint essential oil.


Homemade Vanilla Meyer Lemon Tooth Powder

This recipe is simple to make and really inexpensive as well. An SLS free non-toxic toothpaste can run $4-10 per tube, since this costs less than 50 cents per batch you're saving a bundle!

Homemade Vanilla Meyer Lemon Tooth Powder

I really enjoy learning to make things for myself so I don't have to rely on heading to the store when I need things like toothpaste, brown sugar, bread, crackers and other things. All you have to do is keep a few staples in your pantry and you can save a bundle buy learning to make your own.

Have you ever made homemade toothpaste or powder?

I can also be found at Chiot's Run where I blog daily about gardening, cooking, local eating, beekeeping, and all kinds of stuff. You can also find me at Not Dabbling in Normal and Simple, Green, Frugal, Co-op, and you can follow me on Twitter.

No comments: