Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Currant Muffins


I was lucky enough to receive a few cups of fresh currants from a coworker this summer.  I have never cooked with currants so I froze them until I figured out something to do with them.  I thawed them last week to make currant muffins.  They are (at least the ones I had) somewhat sour but flavorful.  Currants are a lot like blueberry's - same color, shape and texture.  So, I took a blueberry muffin recipe and instead of using blueberry's I used currants.  To top of the basic muffin recipe I sprinkled a crumble of butter, brown sugar and flour onto the muffins before baking.  This added a sweetness to them to counter the currant's sourness.  They turned out pretty delicious - a perfect breakfast with a nice cup of coffee.  I always enjoy using fresh produce that is local - it is a really great feeling!

No comments: